Blogger Widgets

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Octavian

Fiona Verde

In The Son of Neptune,  when Percy first meets Octavian, this happens:

"You remind me of someone,"  said Percy.  "I can't remember who."
"Possibly my name sake, Octavian-Augustus Caesar.  Everyone says I bear a remarkable resemblance."
Percy didn't think that was it, but he couldn't pin down the memory.

The question is, who does Octavian remind Percy of?
Well, I read part of a fan fiction that involves Octavian going to Camp Half Blood.  Everyone there is staring at him.  He finds out that it is because he looks exactly like Luke, without a scar.
What if Luke and Octavian are some how related, like Sammy and Leo?  Obviously they can't be grandfather and grandson, but maybe they are cousins.  Luke's mom could have a sibling, who is one of Octavian's parents.  We don't know Octavian's last name. Could it be Castellan?
The only thing wrong with this theory is, Annabeth didn't have a reaction when she saw Octavian, not one of recognition.  If he looked like Luke, wouldn't she have a reaction, even if she was distracted with Percy? Even if Octavian looked like someone else, Annabeth would have noticed, after she got over the excitement of seeing Percy.
Unfortunately Percy has not brought up this subject again, so we do not have any more information.  But if Annabeth doesn't think Octavian looks familiar, and Percy does, than Percy must have seen this look-alike  when they weren't adventuring together.
Hmm... Percy delivered the master bolt to Olympus without Annabeth.  But she's been there a lot of other times, so you would think she saw all the same people.
Annabeth wasn't there for the quest to find Artemis, of course.  I can't think of anyone who looks like Octavian from that adventure, although I lost the book, and haven't read it in more than a year, so I may have missed someone.
Percy visited Ogygia by himself, but the only person there was Calypso.
He also went to blow up the Princess Andromeda with only Beckendorf.  Maybe there was a demigod who looked like Octavian on board.
Of course, it could be some random person who went to one of Percy's schools.
Who knows, maybe this is nothing, just Percy's memories being messed with more than we thought. Although I doubt Rick Riordan would have just said that, and then made it nothing.

If you can think of any other times that Percy might have seen someone Annabeth didn't, or you can think of someone else who might resemble Octavian (and is around the right age) please leave a comment.

11 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I don't think it's luke, because annabeth would have reacted like you said. Besides, Rick described Apollo like that too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. I never thought it could be one of the gods. Actually, it probably is something like that, and I am just making a big deal about nothing. But it's still fun to hypothesize about things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I was going to do a post about this a while back. If you look at the character pictures for Octavian and Luke, side by side, they bear a huge ressemblance. Coincidence or not, it is definetely evident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just compared the two, and your right. They are making the same expression, and have the same shaped face. It's creepy! Also if you look at the zipper on Luke's jacket, and the design on Octavian's toga, they are very similar. Although Annabeth still would have said something if they were the same.

      Delete
    2. I think that's just the artist approach to 'evil' people

      Delete
  4. I noticed this too! I thought no one else did!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, I check your blohs daily. Your story-telling
    style iss witty, keep it up!

    Here is myy weblog womens jordans cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, if nobody knows, we could always wait for Trials of Apollo. If it is Apollo that Octavian reminds Percy of, then there is most likely to be a comparison in that book. But then surely Leo, Hazel or Frank might've made that comparison in the Heroes of Olympus series if it were true, because after all, they all knew Octavian and came across Apollo, both on the Island of (was it Delphi?) and in the battle where they fought with their godly parent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Octavian can be the descendant to Nero (scuse me if you don't read Trials of Apollo :/). Because in the book, Rick said Octavian the augur is the descendant to Octavian Augustus and I think Octavian Augustus is a ascendant to Nero. If it's not very useful, scuse me. :/ I think, me too, Octavian has a link with Luke Castellan. :o

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback. If you leave a question, I will answer you by responding to your comment as soon as possible (please come back to check) - if it is a comment, and I find it worthy, it will be featured on my Blog. Either way, I love to hear from you guys, so please say whatever you want to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...