Blogger Widgets

Sunday, December 16, 2012

My First Real Post!

By saying real, I am referring to the fact that this is my first post where I will actually talk about Percy Jackson.  My first two posts were about me and my blog, but now it is time to get to work!  My first issue I am going to discuss is something that has been bugging me for a while now.  All 8 additions to the Percy Jackson World ("Percy Jackson and the Olympians" and "Heroes of Olympus") have been rated kids ages 9-11.  All I can say to this is what?

I could understand the first two or three books being in this age range, as they were "a fast read," and did not contain any truly "difficult to understand" material.  However, The Mark of Athena???  I, a 15 year old, had to think about this book while reading!  Some scenes did truly involve a bit of deep thought!  All this, plus the fact that the book was upwards of 550 pages!  Am I mistaken, or are 550 pages normal for 9 year olds -- what is that like 3rd grade?!  I do not remember reading 500 page books in third grade!  Anyways, what are your opinions of this?  When did you read your first Percy Jackson book, and how old are you now, still reading them?



On a completely different note, I'd like to take a little time to discuss the movie, The Lightning Thief.  Now I'm sure most of you are thinking "Why would he even discuss this, it was the worst thing EVER to happen to Percy Jackson!"  Well, I'm certainly not going to disagree with you.  My first impressions of the movie were "huh...seriously?!"  However, having watched it a few times now, I'm not going to say I like it, or even come close to that point, however, I'm not going to say I hate it anymore either.  I mean even Rick Riordan clearly wasn't too fond of it; he constantly talks about how he has nothing to do with the making of the movies. 

But here's a fact some of you most likely do not know!  The Sea of Monsters is expected to come into theaters August 2013!  At this rate, Heroes of Olympus, Book 5 (Untitled), should be in theaters in like 30 years :)!  Anyways, I ask you this: Will you see The Sea of Monsters?  I guarantee at least 75% of you said of course!  I feel the same way-- well I hope it's good!

That's it for now, thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. I'm gonna see it! I'm actually really excited to see what they do with it. It should be interesting. I can't say that I exactly liked the first movie, though... It would be a good movie if it didn't carry the name of Percy Jackson, but as an adaptation of the book, it's absolutely horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i completely agree, but how many book-adaption movies can you actually name that are not "absolutely horrific?"

      Delete
    2. Harry Potter (those were really good, and the only thing that could make it better is if they made them 5 hours each, cuz think about it, those books are HUGE) and The Hunger Games (that was actually REALLY GOOD for an adaptation). Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the newer one) was okay, too.

      Delete
    3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: I've never read so I can't comment on that

      Harry Potter: Don't get me wrong, the HP movies were PHENOMINAL...but if you did read all the books first, you would have to agree they could have been better, some things they changed up...I guess you're right about the 5 hour thing though...one big problem I had was the last movie: Crab was portrayed by a different person! (yes I know why--because he was arrested blah blah blah)--but couldn't they find someone who looked at least SIMILAR! I mean they were different races!

      Hunger Games: Here you have stumped me! Those books and that movie did each other justice! However, if I have to find a way to argue, I would say that is meant to be a movie..I mean think about it, that just is the idea for a movie! (but it could be argued the same way for PJ I guess)

      All in all, yes, I was wrong, some movie adaptations ARE good, but MOST aren't, and that is unarguable!

      Delete
    4. Oh, and the Lorax was fabulous as well! I love that movie! It would have been too short if they only included the stuff in the book, considering that it is a children's book.

      And yes, there are plenty of good and bad adaptations. It all depends on what the movie makers do with it.

      Delete
  2. ok so I just read Mark of Athena two weeks ago and just fell harder for PJ books then ever before! (thats why im just now beggining to search the web for him) The movie was actually great... i had never even heard of PJ before it came out, but after i watched it in sixth grade i decided to read the books. Now i'm 14, 15 in a month, freshman. And YESS to that age thing... I thought PJO would be for ages 7/8 to 11. Then, everything in HOO I thought should be around ages about maybe 10-14/15, and was like WTF when I realized that

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRRRRRR... I'M NINE! I READ LITTLE WOMEN IN SECOND GRADE! DUDE! REALLY!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback. If you leave a question, I will answer you by responding to your comment as soon as possible (please come back to check) - if it is a comment, and I find it worthy, it will be featured on my Blog. Either way, I love to hear from you guys, so please say whatever you want to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...