Blogger Widgets

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Calypso (2)!

While I have posted about Calypso once before in the past, I think it is time to do another segment on this Titan Descendant. The main reason for this is that I received a comment that really got me thinking. Sadly, the comment was under anonymous, so I cannot give credit where it  is due, however the person who made this comment does deserve credit.

"I think she'll find Nico and Jason and all them lot and kind of force herself onto the quest to try and rescue Percy. Then I think she'll sacrifice herself and close the doors of death. She's a titan anyway so it'll be like going back to her family right? Besides I think she'll be more equipped to handle tarturus. I love Calypso, she's a great character from what little we've seen of her. Don't get me wrong I'm all Percabeth, but I sorta like the idea of Percy being in love with her once upon a time, y'know the whole 'my biggest what if' thing. I also like the idea of it now being one-sided, since Calypso is doomed to fall in love with the hero's, not to mention Percy freed her....I also believe Percy will beat himself up about her sacrifice....(You watch me be dead wrong)" ~Anonymous

While I don't agree with everything stated in this comment, I'd like to build off of it, and say what I think may happen.

First of all, we know that Calypso will appear in The House of Hades, as Riordan already stated it. One could assume that she won't just have a "one-line-appearance" and leave, as that would make no sense at all, so we should assume that at the least, she has a minor role to play in the quest. If she did meet up with the 6 (Jason, Piper, Leo, Hazel, Frank, and Nico), the question still remains, how would they know they are on the "same-page?" For if the Argo II just happens to fly by a Titan, the chances are, they will spring into action, knowing that no one on the ship knows about Percy's experience.

So, that leads to my 1st prediction: Calypso will fight against the 6. I think it just makes sense that that would happen. After fighting for a bit, I believe something will happen that will lead the 6 to trust her.

Now, I do believe that Calypso could be an essential part of the quest, as she knows things no one else knows, and may have information that could be useful. But, the other part of the comment said that Calypso will close the doors of death...is that possible? Well, we know it is possible, but that is truly something to think about. Let's take a minute to go down the list, and see who has a chance at closing the doors from the inside (the sad part is, the doors probably won't be closed until Book 5, so we won't know for another year after reading The House of Hades).

Frank: As of this moment, there is no reason to believe that Frank will be the one to close the doors.

Leo: As of this moment, there is no reason to believe that Leo will be the one to close the doors.

Piper: As of this moment, there is no reason to believe that Piper will be the one to close the doors.

Jason: As of this moment, there is no reason to believe that Jason will be the one to close the doors.

Hazel: Hazel, being a daughter of Pluto, has insight on The Underworld. Aside from that, she is technically supposed to be dead at this moment, so maybe she will feel bad/guilty, and be the one to close the doors because of this.

Percy: Percy is in Tartarus at the current moment. He, and Annabeth, are the two most obvious choices to close the doors. The problem I see is, how would Annabeth let Percy close the doors? I don't think she would allow Percy to leave her. Assuming that is true, I doubt Riordan would end his series by killing off/stranding the two main characters.

Annabeth: (SAME AS ABOVE)

Nico: Nico is the only one of the group who has successfully guided himself through Tartarus (aside from Percy and Annabeth assuming they make it to the doors alive. Nico also owes his life to Percy from many, many occasions. As he has grown up, Nico has learned the values of certain things, and he may just be the one to take on the ultimate responsibility. *NOTE* Nico would not do it to see his sister, Bianca, as she has already decided to be reborn.

Calypso: As stated in the comment, she is a Titan. I feel that Calypso is the kind of person who, even though she knows it is not her fault, would step into Tartarus, helping to take the blame for her father and the others during the Titan war. Another reason I think Calypso (and Nico) have a high chance is that the Prophecy of Seven does not mention death, necessarily. I remember in The Titan's Curse, the prophecy mentioned death, and two of them died...however, this prophecy is not as clear. So, maybe the one to die will be an outsider to the quest.

Nico and Calypso are in blue because they aren't part of the quest.

Another thing to think about is the number 3. 3 is a powerful number. So, maybe this all ends with 3 people returning to Camp Half-Blood, and 3 people returning to Camp Jupiter. If that were true, one of the Greeks (Percy, Annabeth, Leo, or Piper) would have to be the one to close it. Since it is most likely not Leo or Piper, maybe it will be Percy or Annabeth. Although I hate to say it, a lot of authors do end series by killing off one of the main characters to prevent it from being continued through other people (similar to how there was speculation that Harry would die in the The Deathly Hollows). So, maybe Percy will do it...maybe he will leave Annabeth...and maybe, just maybe, Calypso will join him...


Just something to think about....Thanks for Reading!

12 comments:

  1. Why ladies constantly say that cock size does not subject when u look at men seeking men or m4m web page on craigslist all everyone desires is really a massive one particular?
    r gay males and straight women that diverse? also despite the fact that that women r smaller sized
    and weaker y do they deal with the discomfort much better when
    i give it to them in the rear end than when
    i give guys? the m4m page is under casual encounters if u wanna try it
    out.

    Here is my homepage; woman attract

    ReplyDelete
  2. My theory is similar to yours (great job, by the way). I think Calypso will help close the plot hole of Leo being the seventh wheel, then go on to sacrifice herself in an unforeseen way to close the doors. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't think she will be the one to sacrifice herself, but the seventh wheel thing sounds just about right!

      Delete
  3. Wow. I agree with everything. I don't WANT some of that stuff to happen but that doesn't mean that it wont. :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your analysis, but I think that you should definitely include the possibility of Leo closing the doors. Wasn't that hinted at in the last book? Didn't he say that he feels guilty? He thinks that by saving Frank and Hazel, he condemned Percy and Annabeth. I also think that it is unlikely that Calypso sacrifices herself, because her role in the Battle of the Labyrinth was to help Percy recover, and she eventually inspired him to return and fight (I realize some people may disagree, but in my opinion she was the one who inspired him to return). I think that it is more likely that she would provide similar
    inspiration/encouragement to Percy or another member of the quest,simply because that was how her character was set up. I think that the most likely resolution is that Hazel tries to sacrifice herself, Nico stops her, closes the doors himself, and dies. I am not hoping for this resolution, because Nico is my favorite character, (not just in Percy Jackson, in all books ever) but I think it is likely because he has so much to atone for, and maybe sacrificing himself would be a form of redemption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your analysis of Calypso for the most part, but not with what you're saying about Leo - I don't think you have your facts straight, and I think you are taking a minor detail and stretching it too far - alas, it is possible that you may be correct.

      In terms of Nico, I agree with what you are saying completely - he already lost his "real" sister, he doesn't want to now lose his "godly" one too.

      Delete
  5. I kind of want Percy or Annabeth to close the doors but then find a really unbelievably heroic way to get out and live happily forever after ... that'll never happen but oh well.

    Btw I saw Sea of Monsters and it is awesome!! Book is still better but Logan Lerman is in it so it kind of makes up for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. can we clarify something? Will the person to close the door die when they do it? If yes, I doubt it will be percy or annabeth, but it will be someone more important than calypso...BUT LEO CAN'T DIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, see that's the problem...we don't know if they'll die...maybe they can navigate their way back through Tartarus...but I doubt that. My assumption is that the Doors will be closed during BOOK 5, so I don't think we will have time to hear about a story of navigating Tartarus...I think that will be the end of that character...but I mean, Rick could always throw a wildcard...maybe a monster will close the doors...or maybe even Coach Hedge...he is a protecter, and it was Jason, Piper, and Leo who saved his life in The Lost Hero...maybe he'll do it

      Delete
  8. The the prophecy said an oath to keep with a final breath and in the House of Hades Leo promised Calypso he would return so maybe it means with a final mortal breath and that he dies and becomes immortal with the others and prep hasp frees Calypso from her curse.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your feedback. If you leave a question, I will answer you by responding to your comment as soon as possible (please come back to check) - if it is a comment, and I find it worthy, it will be featured on my Blog. Either way, I love to hear from you guys, so please say whatever you want to say!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...